Sport is super smart one-year old Australian Labradoodle being trained to detect peanuts for a 4 year old little boy named Rory.
The past year has been especially hard on Rory. We've known that he was allergic to peanuts since he was 6 months old, but it seems that his allergy worsened after his third birthday. One evening before his father and I were supposed to go out of town, he asked if he could have a new cookie he spotted in the pantry. I'd bought the cookies so that my mother could give him a special treat while we were gone. I thank God every day that what followed happened on my watch and not my mother's.
Within 40 minutes Rory had a large patch of hives and we discovered the cookies were processed on shared equipment with peanut products. We dosed him with antihistamine and showered him off, but the reaction continued to worsen. He began to cough non-stop and I ran for the phone and the EpiPen, which I had never used before. I pleaded with the 911 operator to tell me what to do, but she would only say that I needed to do whatever his doctor would have wanted me to do. Within 3 minutes my house was full of firefighters and paramedics and my child was gagging from his throat swelling shut. At their coaxing, I slammed the EpiPen into his thigh and his father rode with him to the ER while I stayed home with our baby.
He was discharged in the morning, but 17 hours after the initial reaction he began speaking nonsense, and immediately his eyes swelled out and the cough returned. He had to have the EpiPen again and took another ambulance to the ER where I met him at the door.
In 2014 his face became red and blotchy in his peanut-free preschool. The director called me and I raced to pick him up when a pain in my heart made me call back and tell her to EpiPen him. I called but there was no answer at the school and I knew: they were on the phone with 911. When they finally answered the phone they said that his breathing had slowed to 10 respirations per minute and he had lost all color. They saved his life with the EpiPen.
We were at a loss to understand what happened until a week later when a peanut-sniffing dog confirmed that his classroom had been tainted with peanuts. He must have touched a contaminated toy and then touched his eyes, nose or mouth.
We cannot go on living in fear that our child is minutes away from losing his life to peanuts. When Rory is in the hospital he proudly displays his hospital wrist bands above his head while exclaiming, "Power to the Rescue Rings!" but when Rory gets to bring Sport home it will be as if Rory is getting a real super power-- "peanut vision." Sport will finally let Rory lead a normal life while he runs defense wherever Rory goes, including Rory's future elementary school where Sport will come in each morning to do a sweep of the classroom.
Please help in the training of Sport by donating today.
You can donation with a check, made out to Angel Service Dogs, Inc, please put Sport for Rory in the memo.
ANGEL SERVICE DOGS, INC.
P.O. BOX 2756
MONUMENT, CO 80132
Or you can made a donation through Paypal:
Donate here to help Sport for Rory. Please use as many share buttons below as you can to get the word out so that others can help too. Donations made through Paypal are posted after they have cleared. Totals are reflected at that time. Thank you for your support! We cannot reach this goal without you.
Please make sure to put Sport for Rory in the comment of your PayPal donation!
Angel Service Dogs™ Inc.is a 501-C-3.
In the event Sport does not pass certification, another dog will be trained with the same specifications and this fund will be transferred to that dog. Additional funds raised from this campaign will be transferred into the Angel Service Dogs, Inc. General fund to help train dogs for other families.
Remember to Share: